February 16, 2010

Goals Vs Desires

by Ed

I did an interesting exercise a few months ago. The exercise helped me relook at goals versus desires. I know that there are ton’s of articles and books and numerous things people talk about Goals. How you must have them, looking at them etc.

For this past year, although I wrote down some goals at the beginning of 2009, I didn’t pay much attention to them. In my last article, I share with you my insights to goals for me. This year, I really didn’t pay attention at all to what I wrote down The result at years end is that my income dropped off quite a bit. And I really need to focus in 2010 or else the income will drop further.

The reason for the drop is I’m trying to redesign myself with regards to work and income. Anyhoooow, with the exercise I did several months ago and now that I know I need to focus, I brought out the good ole “Goal Card”. The one the successful people always tell you to carry and look at every day several times a day.


I’ve done that in the past but it never worked. However, this time my card is called Goad & Desire card. It has a twist. As a result of the exercise and new understanding, I decided to write down on the Goals column, things that within my control and Desires column, stuff that I can’t.

Well the experts always say, you can control it if you work hard enough or dream about it enough aka TheSecret. (Ooh I’ll be stepping on some toes here). I believe to earn $X amount by when is out of your control. Being a sales person, with enough data, you “can” gauge the ratio of sales activity (within your control) eg calls you need to make, to result in sales. While the ratio thing does work, you still can’t control who will buy and how much. Or if you get hit by a truck and be out of action.

So, the things I can really control, my Goals everyday, will be having a positive attitude, to have faith, to be focused, to be transparent and to take bold action. The Desires (things that I can’t control but look forward to accomplishing) will be perhaps a holiday overseas, a certain level of income, a new car etc.

I invite you to consider this. I’d certainly like to hear from you if you have done something similar.

Fund Price

About Me

My photo
Ibrahim bin Ramli@Nuang started his career with CIMB Wealth Advisors Berhad as Agency Manager in April, 2008.Previously he was an Internal Auditors and Accounts Executive with Perodua Sales Sdn Bhd since 17 August, 1994. His background:- 1.Certified of Achievement for Master Sales Leadership from Dr Lawrence Walter Ng of President of The Art Of Learning and International Of Learning Without Learning 2.Certified for eXtra Ordinary Performance of Lawrence Walter Award Certificate for One Million Ringgit Club 2007 3. Certified Life & General insurances 4. Conferred with Diploma in Business Studiess & Bachelor of Business Admin(Hons)Finance from UiTM, Terengganu Branch & Shah Alam respectively;

music


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com

Followers